Being a Friend
Being a friend means accepting others as you would want to be accepted, not at your best, but at your worst.
Being a friend is easy when you are enjoying one another’s company. Being a friend when one is in a very very bad mood is tough.
Being a friend when you’ve lost your job and can’t find work for months and even years is lonely as judgment and doubt start to surface.
Being a friend when others are teasing and bullying and pointing fingers at you is painful, but this marks true friendship.
Being a friend when the other pushes you away and refuses to tell you why is confusing, but the moment the other smiles and gives you a hug, all is forgotten.
A friend loves, cries, yells, laughs, hugs, pushes, teases, hopes, fears, bullies, helps, is courageous, is strong, and above all else present.
I have a friend who is also my husband.
Our friendship has lasted a long time through many difficult times.
The year was 1993. It’s been almost 24 years!
In the beginning of a friendship, you smile never believing you could ever dislike or (gasp) hate this person.
Fighting? No way.
Yet, fighting and separating did happen more than once.
It’s interesting marrying your friend. It has its good parts and bad just like any friendship.
I remember when we first moved in with each other. I was super embarrassed about using the toilet in front of him.
Gas? Oh, my!
Yet now, it’s no big deal. Of course, this isn’t a pleasant part of friendship or love but it is what it is – humanity.
Humanity is beautiful!
How Friendship is Formed
A friendship starts slowly sometimes unaware.
Sometimes, though, you immediately connect starting a forever friendship.
It starts with…
- How are you?
- What’s Your Favorite Food?
- Do you have a favorite color?
- Have you traveled to another country?
- Why do you blog?
- Do you have children? How many?
- What is your favorite type of music?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- Which do you prefer? Reading or Writing. Why?
- Do you have a favorite Television show?
Your Friend Replies…
- I’m doing fine, and you?
- Currently, my favorite food is Kimchi, a Korean fermented cabbage.
- I enjoy all colors but if I had to choose just one it would be purple.
- I’ve never traveled to another country but I do enjoy virtual travel through my Pinterest and Instagram accounts.
- I blog for a number of reasons but at the core, it is to release all the noise inside my head. I am an overthinker and writing tends to help silence all the ‘what if’s’ in my head.
- Yes, I do have children. I have 2 boys and a few angels in heaven.
- My all time favorite music is whatever my husband and sons create. 😉
- Hobbies come and go for me. I was once into pen palling and then crocheting. Right now, I’m into knitting and coloring.
- I prefer reading because I can be transported out of reality.
- I don’t currently have a favorite television show, but I do watch Netflix and DramaFever on the weekends.
How about you? What does being a friend mean to you?
Linking up with Christian Blogger Linkup this week.